Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Feed The Birds


OH SO HUNGRY!

FIVE BABY BARN SWALLOWS

GRIFFIN, BUCKBEAK, RAIN, PHOENIX, AND CELESTE OSTLER
(PLEASE DON'T ASK WHAT ORDER THEY ARE IN)

Today Andrew and I celebrated our five month anniversary as a married couple. It was a great day. He called me from work, and told me that one of the guys he works with knocked a nest down thinking there were no birds in it. This was two days ago, and the Mom and Dad bird, although around seem to have lost interest. They gave up feeding them and I guess don't know what to do. I knew these birds wouldn't make it with out help and a miracle. There were five barn swallows, and Andrew and I were afraid they were going to die. You can see this video at the bottom of the page which was taken this morning, and then know that in the hours since then they all have only improved. They sleep, but tweet when they are hungry. I called my Mom for advice. Since Eubie our brewers blackbird lived to be 13. He was a bird that our pet cat Camphor brought home to us. I bought "cheep" dog food and mixed it with a tiny bit of water per Mom's instructions. I thought for sure they were goners because they just weren't opening up their beaks, unless I forced them. I also noticed they were shivering, so they went down my top and rested in my cleavage on the drive home. That's when they started chirping. I got them into a laundry basket and kept them in, yes it's true one of my softest and oldest bras. It was warm from the dryer. I put a lamp over them and now they are five of the happiest birds. I don't let them get too warm. Now they eat and poop constantly. I can only thank Heavenly Father for this miracle, because I prayed for these baby birds at lunch. I prayed that I would know what to do, and that if it was His will, that they would live. I know we are not out of the woods yet, but I really think they are going to be okay. They just needed a little TLC. This is going to take patience, hard work, persistence, and love. I know I can do it, because my own Mom was amzing at it. I watched her do it. I can't wait for the day when I can take them back to the Manti Temple grounds and release them back with all their other brother and sisters. I really hope they make it. We'll keep you updated on their progress.

2 comments:

Marilee said...

Very cute, for birds that is.

But I have a complaint. That is the bra I gave you for your bodacious pregnant breasts not to house barn swallows. :)

Is this the official definition of Nesting.

T&C said...

All huddled together, they look like whats leftover when one of your cats eats a bird. I will be rooting for the little ankle biters.